Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Fan culture: USA 1, Denmark 0

If there’s one thing that is definitely different in the states compared to Denmark or Europe for that matter it’s going to a sport event. First of all there’s no tailgating in Europe. People don’t meet in front of the stadium 11 hours before the game and eat and drink themselves in to a coma… which is too bad. But I don’t want to write about tailgating even though it’s one thing us Europeans could really learn from, because there’s another thing I would like us to learn even more.

One day back in 1997 when I was 15 years old I found myself running down a street with four soccer hooligans chasing me. I had just been to a soccer match, my team had destroyed the opponents 4 – 0 and now I paid the price running for my life away from four fat, bald, tattooed hooligans. Luckily I got away from them without getting my face smashed in. Now this was in Denmark, hooliganism isn’t too bad compared to England, Germany or Italy, but still you don’t want to piss off the wrong people.

Now let me skip forward 11 years. I’m walking in to Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wisconsin. I’ve traveled from Denmark with two friends to watch my team the Packers play their biggest rival Chicago Bears. To Danes that don’t know it this (American) football rivalry can be compared to Barcelona against Real Madrid or Celtic – Rangers in Scotland. With a million stories about how European hooligans in these rivalries literally murder each other I find my seat in the stands. To my horror I realize that I’m sitting next to a huge guy wearing a Bears jersey. Holy shit I’m screwed is my first thought, but before I can scream like a girl this huge guy reaches out… and shakes my hand while wishing me a good game. Something’s wrong I think. Is he going to stab me in the back or strangle me when I turn around? Well he doesn’t. Later in the game when the Bears are down by a million points the Packers fans around us starts giving him a little shit, but instead of pushing him down and kicking him in the head like any European soccer fan would do, they finish the teasing by giving him a hug.

Since the Packers game I’ve been to most the college football games that Missouri Tigers have played this season and I’ve gotten used to this mutual respect between fans of opposite teams. I’ve had my picture taken with an Illinois fan, I’ve talked friendly with a couple of Nebraska fans and I beet I wont get in a fight when we play Kansas later this year. I just pray to God that I don’t take this behavior with me back to Denmark, because asking a fan of an opposite team if I can get a picture taken with him might be the end of me… I’m not kidding.

I say GOOD USA, BAD Denmark!!!!

8 comments:

  1. To mention Celtic (Scotland) as an example of bad culture is as wrong as putting me on a Forbes list of rich people!

    Celtic-fans manage to combine being passionate and friendly in a perfect manner and have even won prizes for this matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you think that the Celtic and the Rangers fans would just shake hands and hug if they were put in the same section of the stadium? Because I dont.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree. Europe could really learn something from (North) Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In fact most of them DO shake hands when they meet.
    Furthermore: when not playing against each other, the fans stay out of each others sight to show respect.

    What about all the other teams? Celtic vs Motherwell? Inverness vs Rangers? Kilmanock vs Hearts? Would they all beat each other to death at every occation?

    Fan culture in Europe has it's roots in the lower class as compared to "fan" culture in the US which is much more about food and (to qoute one of your favourite bands) "good clean family entertainment you can trust".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I disagree. American sport isn't about food. But it is good entertainment and you can trust it. Well football anyway. Baseball is always boring.

    But you're probably right if you mean that the hooligans is a result of sports in Europe having its roots in the lower class. What I just don't understand is why we can't change that.
    Americans have realized that's sport is entertaining and for having a good time with your friends as have you and I. Why then are there still hooligans connected to every soccer team wetter it's AC Horsens or Manchester United? I don't think it's because we have people that are less evolved, because those people are over here too. They just haven't discovered that sport events are a good stage for fighting and I hope they never do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're mostly right, however the tragic thing is that sports are NOT are good place to fight. When will you ever see as many cops in a smaller "jysk" city than when footballmatches are played?

    If those idiots really just want to fight, why not do it at meeting for collectors of stamps or at conventions for people called "Harrald" in Lemvig?

    Such venues are much easier to inflict with violence. But somehow that doesn't seem to appeal to the teen-hools.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so right. When the hell did sport become a good venue for fighting. Who was the idiot that suggested: Hi guys, let us go to a soccer match and beat people up. It'll be great! Retards!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Good USA / Bad USA - Blogged