Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Football vs. Soccer – not even a contest


This blog post has been on its way for a long time. Actually since before I left Denmark. This is my opportunity to talk about this without having 15 drunken guys screaming at me that I’m a retard. And I will take that opportunity.

So hear is what I have to say about football vs. soccer. In Denmark (and Europe) soccer is the big sport (we call it football. But just so there’s no confusion European football will be called soccer in this post and American football will be called football – I know that my Danish friends is swearing at me right now…). Anyway soccer is the big sport in Denmark and football is a very small sport. Around 3500 Danes play football, whereas there are 313.000 registered soccer players in Denmark. Soccer is shown all the time on television it’s the sport you grow up playing. So you would think that I am a soccer fanatic. Wrong! I love football. It’s my number one sport. This obviously doesn’t go well with my soccer nerdy friends and we often get in to discussions about the two sports.
And yes guys it is strange that it’s called football when the players rarely use their feet. And yes the constant commercial breaks are annoying. But I really don’t care what it’s called. They can call it “throw run and catch ball” for all I care and the breaks are perfect for taking a piss, making nachos or getting more beers.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate soccer, I just prefer football. I would rather watch a preseason NFL game or a high school football game than watch the Champions League Final in soccer. And here is why.
Bottom line: Soccer is boring!

- But Peter you don’t get the beauty of soccer.
I’ve played soccer since I was five (or though you can’t tell) and I’ve been to my share of pro soccer games. And 9 out of 10 times this are what happen: You sit in the stands, usually freezing (because it’s in Denmark). After two hours of defensive playing and a couple of missed scoring chances you get up and leave. Usually the scoreboard says 0 – 0 or maybe 1 – 0 or if you’re really lucky more than one goal has been scored.

- But Peter it’s not about how many goals that are being scored. It’s about the game, the passes, the tactics, and the details.

My point exactly. In no sport are the details of the game and the beauty of tactics more obvious than it is in football. I love that there is such a thing as a playbook in football, I love that the coaches have so big influence on the game that it can actually be won from the sideline.

The beautiful details are in every play of a football game. There are hard hits, interceptions, fumbles, sacks, busted plays that turn in to touchdowns, huge kickoff returns, trick plays. Whereas, I can sit through an entire soccer game without witnessing an impressive play. It all comes down to action. There’s simply more action in a football game. I bet that every one of my soccer nerdy friends would convert if they took the time to learn the tactics and rules of the game.

For more information on why I prefer football se my post about tailgating and hooligan culture in Europe.


P.S. Another thing that really annoys me about soccer are the players. They are the biggest girls both on and of the field. They cry and complain to the ref if somebody touches them. And of the field they are so god damn boring. They always say the same thing, and are so afraid of criticizing the coach or their teammates that they will say positive things about even if they just got their ass kicked. In football the coaches, team owners and PR guys definitely try to control the players, but they can’t. Everyday multiple football players are fined for talking smack about team mates, the coach, the referees and so on. I love that!

4 comments:

  1. Seriously, a high school football game over the champions league final. Even I'm not that crazy about football.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes you are, and high school football is pretty cool... haven't you seen Friday Night Lights?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After two hours of defensive playing and a couple of missed scoring chances you get up and leave. Usually the scoreboard says 0 – 0 or maybe 1 – 0 or if you’re really lucky more than one goal has been scored.

    Haha...a good thing, this is a blog, and not an article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter, just wanted to make a note here to clarify: I believe football is called football because the ball used is exactly one foot long (12 inches). Note that foot has 2 meanings - the anatomical variety or the measurement. People love to talk about how much of a misnomer it is but it makes sense once you find out the reason for the name.

    ReplyDelete

 
Good USA / Bad USA - Blogged